Looking to develop your construction career?
The Construction and the Built Environment HNC programme, accredited by Pearson, gives you a new, convenient, and affordable mode of study that fits around busy lifestyles.
You will gain a nationally-recognised, higher-education qualification that enhances your career prospects.
You will have a chance for both interactive and inquiry-based learning, with 42 weeks live, online classes and two block weeks on campus, in person. This will provide you with a different way of viewing a subject or accessing materials.
At Activate Learning, we appreciate that you may be juggling work, family and other commitments and we are experienced in supporting you. Our dedicated team of Higher Education, study support tutors are on hand if you need additional help.
Need to talk about it?
If you are interested in this course and would like an informal, no-obligation chat about the details of the course, how to sign up, or anything else, please use the “Enquire about HE courses” on the right of this page and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible!
Home/EU* Fee for September 2022 entry: £3,265 per year
Please note: Tuition fees are published for the first year of entry only and may increase in subsequent years both for new and continuing students in line with an inflationary amount determined by the Office for Students.
*Fee information for European Union (EU) students: If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2021, you will no longer be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are able to benefit from the citizens’ rights agreements
- you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland – benefits of Irish nationals under Common Travel Area guidance arrangement will continue
What you'll learn
This part-time, Construction and the Built Environment HNC programme is delivered over two years.
Each year is divided into two, 11-week semesters, covering two units each.
Overall, there are eight core units, including:
Unit 2: Construction Technology
Unit 14: Building Information Modelling
Unit 3: Science and Materials
Unit 6: Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)
Unit 1: Individual Project (Pearson-set)
Unit 16: Principles of Alternative Energy
Unit 4: Construction Practice and Management
Unit 5: Legal and Statutory Responsibilities in Construction
How you'll learn and be assessed
The blended learning model includes a range of approaches, such as:
- project-based learning
- facilitated group seminars
- being 95% online and 5% in person
- a range of accessibility options for participants
- using virtual reality and artificial intelligence experiences through online technology
- developing your academic writing and research skills as well as communication, teamwork and problem solving
After successful completion of the eight units for the certificate (HNC), you can progress to achieve the diploma in our two-year HND Construction and the Built Environment.
Beyond the diploma, you can ‘Top Up’ to a (BA Hons) degree (subject to meeting entry requirements).
A typical offer is 64 UCAS points, this may be obtained with:
- two A Levels at grade A–C (7–4)
- Level 3 National Diploma grade MM
- Level 3 Extended National Diploma grade MPP
We welcome students returning to education who possess strong industry related experience.
Applicants should have English and maths GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above (or equivalent).
Those whose first language is not English need to demonstrate their language ability by achieving a score in a recognised test such as the British Council IELTS (normally a minimum Level 5.5).
It’s important to note that:
- all applicants will be interviewed online or in person
- you will need reliable WiFi and access to a computer with a camera and microphone
- your computer must be capable of running Rhino CAD software (or equivalent) and students will need to purchase this
- spare laptops are available for on-campus use for those that cannot provide their own
- study support funding may be available for eligible students
- accommodation rates apply for those who need to stay in the local area (approx. £89/night)