The UK video games industry is booming, and it is an increasingly popular career choise for young people who want to get involved in the technical and creative development of games.
Students on the Games Development and Coding Level 3 study programme at Banbury and Bicester College will learn a mixture of work skills in the entertainment technology industry as well as specific craft-based learning, such as the creation of animations and websites. The course provides in-depth knowledge, skills and understanding in the key concepts and practical skills required to progress onto Level 4 courses in games development or programmes of a similar level, and/or work successfully in the interactive entertainment industry.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the majority of students progress to courses in higher education at either degree or HND level – with many specialising in a particular field.
Future job opportunities from the Games Development and Coding career pathway include Games Programmer, Designer, Coder, Producer, Animator, Audio Engineer, Tester, IT Technical Support, and many more!
What you'll learn
You will be taught by industry specialist with a combined experience of over 30 years in the games industry. You will work on a series of individual and group assignments which cover subjects such as:
- Pre-production Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
- Communication Skills for Creative Media Production
- Research Techniques for the Creative Media Industries
- Creative Media Production Management Project
Optional units which may include:
- Understanding the Computer Games Industry
- 2D Animation Production
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Sound in Interactive Media
- Computer Games Engines
- 3D Modelling
- Flash for Computer Games
How you'll learn and be assessed
The Games Development and Coding Level 3 Extended Diploma provides in-depth knowledge, skills and understanding in the key concepts and practical skills.
Individual learning targets are set each term and you receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets. Formal assessment is through assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments, which are set at regular intervals throughout the course.
This programme has strong links to industry, reflected through guest speakers and outside clients. You have full access to our new media centre, which consists of a television studio, digital, video and sound editing equipment, a radio studio and computing facilities. You work with specialist tutors on live practical projects.
All work for your Games Development and Coding Level 3 Extended Diploma is assessed through coursework. Additional qualifications in areas such as English, Maths or ICT are assessed by an external exam.
– 5 or more GCSEs grades A*-C including English and maths and/or a completed Level 2 award (preferably in Media or Games Development , Computer Science / ICT)
– preferably a qualification in physics (individually or part of combined sciences)
– an existing knowledge of programme code such as C++ would be well received
– the willingness to study for an additional Level 2 qualification in English and/or maths – if you are interested in a Level 3 programme and have alternative qualifications you would like us to consider please contact us with your details